Friday, January 16, 2009

A couple of challenges, and a gift for my aunts...

Ok, so two of my aunts are coming into town from Minneapolis next week, and my mom and I were trying think of a fun gift to greet them with, (without spending a whole lot extra)... I remembered that she had bought some extra jar candles, the big ones, around Christmas and assured her that I could jazz them up nicely... I took the inspiration for the color choices in the first candle from Kristina Werner's Blog seen here:


My Aunt Caroline digs butterflies and this such a fun friuty summery color inspiration that it just screamed butterflies to me, oh and the candle scent is cherry pie, yum! So here's the end result:

I drew the butterfly myself. I have been doodling butterflies for ages now, I mean really, since grade school... I doodled A LOT in grade school... However, I went to Catholic school, and they just weren't the biggest fans of copybooks with pages and pages of doodles... It was bad... Anywho, here's the butterfly:

I also got an Amy Butler mat pad for Christmas, and I cut this bad boy out of one of the pages, backed it in white and popped it onto some groovy striped paper:

I decorated the lid with some Primas and a button to finish it all off:

For my Aunt Barb, who is obsessed with all things cowboy, (she even had a western themed wedding), I used the color combo for this week's challenge from Our Creative Corner Blog, which was two blues and a nuetral. Here is the candle:

I didn't have any cowboy paper or stamps, so I drew the boots too. I really love the way they came out:

And the lid:

I love the way these worked out, but now I am off to craft some more... I am on a roll, and I gotta stick with it!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle. Wow, your doodling is amazing! I just love the butterfly so much (and could think of tons of projects to use it on, lol!) and the way you've coloured it is beautiful. And the cowboy boots are so cool. You are one talented lady! Your Aunt's are going to be thrilled with their gifts. Hope the rest of your crafting was as productive! Have a great weekend!
    Mrs J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are perfect! I love your jars!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michelle!! Thanks for following my blog! I really love the candles you decorated for the Color Inspiration Challenge!! I am looking forward to seeing more work soon. I have a little award for you if you go check out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You drew the butterfly and the boots?!?! Wow they are GORGEOUS! And I'm not just saying that to be nice. Draw more things, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy mackeral you are a GREAT DOODLER!!!!!!!! i was just getting ready to ask you where you found the divine butterfly stamp...and then...it turned out you *DREW* that thing! yowza! ♥♥♥ (the boots are awesome too, btw!)

    ReplyDelete